V. Bozeman x SingersRoom.com Interview, Talks 'Empire' Role & Working With Timbaland

Untitled
Her 2011 duet with Timothy Bloom Til The End Of Time” and edgy song/video "Race Jones" garnered much praise and attention, but it wasn't until the first season of the FOX series Empire when the nation saw and heard Veronika (V.) Bozeman's talents with her stirring performance of "What Is Love."

Singersroom sat down with the “Empire” star, who is on the rise in her career as an actress and singer/songwriter.  She is currently signed to Timbaland’s Mosley Records and has her first single “Smile” featuring the Multi-Grammy winning producer. Bozeman will be one of the fresh new faces bringing out the brightness in R&B’s future! V. is currently working on her solo project Music Is My Boyfriend, as well as some stuff for Timbaland's upcoming projects.

*singersroom.com

Your 2011 duet with Timothy Bloom “Til The End Of Time” garnered a lot of attention and the video millions of views. How did that collab come about?
Timothy and I were friends for a long time. I sang background for him and one day he called me to ask if I would sing a song for him that he wanted me to hear. So I went over to his place and recorded the song, so we both connected.

How did you snag your role on “Empire?”
“Empire” came through Timbaland. I’m signed with Mosley, so while I was recording my album, I let him listen to a song I recorded called “Race Jones”. He was blown away and said that Lee Daniels was having a new show, so he sent Lee the video of “Race Jones” and Lee called my management.

What percentage of you do you put in your character?
I would say yes, a whole lot of me, we have a lot in common. She’s very passionate, and she gets looked over a little and feels unappreciated. She’s just trying to find her way because she knows she has something special but things will change very soon.

How has your life changed since “Empire?”
My life has been a whirlwind because the show is a phenomenon so when I’m out, people recognize me because of the song “What Is Love.” I get so much love from all continents, and it has really impacted people. I’m definitely seeing results.

Who has been your favorite guest on the show?
My favorite guest so far I would say Gladys Knight first season. She’s a class act. I always look up to the women before me because I wouldn’t be here if it weren't for them. I’ve met a lot of people that was a big disappointment when you meet them in person, so when people come with extra funk, it’s really not cool.

How did you find the confidence to rock a bald head?
When I decided to shave my head, I just wanted to start over and start off healthy. When I finally shaved it, I saw myself for the first time, and I wasn’t hiding anything. Once I accepted myself, I feel like everyone accepted me as well.

Tell us about your single “Smile” and upcoming project Music is My Boyfriend.
“Smile” is my first single from my project. It’ll be out in 2016 and it’ll feature Timbaland. It’s a really feel-good record, and it’ll bring something to the atmosphere on the radio. There's a lot going on in the world, so it’s good to have something on the air to make someone happy.

What’s it like working with Timbaland?
It’s amazing working with Timbaland, he’s like a ball of energy. He loves music, and he loves working with artists who are passionate about music. Timbaland uplifts me, and somebody like him has changed music, so we create magic to bring good music to people.

What have you learned on this journey?
I've learned that patience is a virtue, so if you have a passion just keep going and work nonstop in your truth. Don’t let anyone dictate who you are as an artist or person because once you try to duplicate something, the magic is lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment